The chapter that I related to most in my life was interpersonal communication. I know I will benefit from the skills we learned in this area. Learning about dyadic communication was very helpful to me because I am constantly trying to improve my interpersonal skills. The more spontaneous and relaxed a conversationalist you are, the more confident you feel and I believe you are more appealing for others to be around when mastering this skill. I can really relate and agree with many of the theories in interpersonal communication. The Social Penetration Theory is one of my favorites, because I believe that the deeper your relationship with someone, the more cohesive you become. The many facets of yourself that make up the whole” onion” analogy really compare to the breadth of the relationship, and on how deep of a level you are on with someone in many different areas of your life reflects on your relationship with that person. Another favorite theory of mine is the Duck’s Filtering theory. The imaginary strainer that filters out acquaintances, qualities you like or do not like in friends or mates, and finally the few that make it to the bottom of the filter. These few represent your most close friends and loved ones. I strongly agree with this theory and can relate because I have a few very close friends, but many friends and acquaintances that would be caught somewhere on one of the filter’s upper levels. Interpersonal communication is so interesting because I believe it is why we live life. Without personal interaction there truly would be no reason to get out of bed in the morning. We thrive on communication, we communicate with the people we care about most interpersonally, that is why I find interpersonal communication to be the most relatable topic we have studied.
Bridget -- filtering theory and social penetration theory are indeed useful for understanding our friendships. It's important to realize, though, that we cannot "agree" or "disagree" with a theory. We can say it is supported by our own experiences, or that it helps us understand our own experiences, but it's not a matter of agreement.
ReplyDelete